The skin is one of the largest organs of the body which comprises of three layers of the skin namely:
- Epidermis – The outermost layer of skin which acts as a waterproof barrier
- Dermis – It is the layer present below the epidermis which contains the connective tissue, hair follicles and sweat glands
- Hypodermis – The layer below dermis which is made up of fat and connective tissue.
A wound is defined as the damage or breakdown of the skin due to injury. An effective wound care therapy is necessary to promote healing of the skin. Compounded medications can help individualize wound care treatment for patients. Wound care therapy will depend on the type of wound and rate of healing for which a variety of compounded medications can be used.
Texas Star Pharmacy can provide custom solutions for wound care therapy which include:
- Topical Irrigation Solutions – Sterile solutions can be compounded for wound cleaning purposes to aid in the debridement and healing process.
- Topical Antibiotic Solutions – Topical antibiotic solutions to aid in reducing the bacterial burden on the wound bed.
- Topical Gels, Creams and Ointment – Compounded topical formulations can be used to include local anesthetics and anti-inflammatory medications to reduce pain inflammation associated with wound cleaning.
Compounded medications can help in achieving multiple therapy goals which are tailored for an individual patient. Please reach out to our compounding pharmacist for more information on formulations that can be beneficial for you.